FOR TUTOR AND PEER EDUCATOR TRAINERS
CRLA is pleased to announce the details of its 5th Summer Institute to train the trainers in peer educator and tutor training programs. Our goal is to provide attendees with the training and tools for developing programs for peer educators and tutors that meet professional standards and best practices.
New in 2022! Due to the overwhelming interest in the Tutor Trainer track, we are offering two sessions for tutor-trainers. The first Tutor Trainer track runs July 13-15, 2022. The second track runs July 17-19 and coincides with the Peer Educator (i.e., coaches and mentors) Trainer track. The content of both Tutor Trainer tracks is identical.
- Tutor Trainer track: July 13-15, 2022
- Tutor Trainer track or Peer Educator track: July 17-19, 2022
Which Track To Choose
If you are interested in training course-specific, content-based tutors for their work with students, please sign-up for the Tutor Trainer track. If you are interested in training students to become mentors, peer coaches, Supplemental Instruction leaders and/or classroom leaders, please sign-up for the Peer Educator Trainer track.
Customized Learning Opportunity
The 2022 CRLA Summer Institute will include a "Choose Your Path" style training option that allows attendees to participate in specialized focus sessions based on their needs and interests.
One option will focus on the CRLA certification requirements and application process for either tutor or peer educator training programs. This session will provide in-depth opportunities for newcomers to the field to build familiarity with introductory topics, including certification.
For more experienced practitioners there will be an opportunity to engage deeply with advanced topics drawn from your pre-institute survey responses, so please be on the lookout for our pre-institute survey email!
- Identify key concepts for the development or enhancement of peer educator and tutor training programs
- Design peer educator and tutor training sessions using best practices and standards
- Develop outstanding training, presentation, and facilitation strategies
- Integrate ethical and effective practices for hiring, supervising, and evaluating tutors and peer educators
The Peer Educator Trainer track (formerly the Mentor Trainer track) topics include:
- Exploring best practices of mentors, coaches, SI /classroom leaders
- Examining peer education from the organizational level (purpose, function, and definition of peer education with an emphasis on mentoring, coaching, SI/classroom leader)
- Understanding theoretical frameworks which support peer educator programs
- Developing goals, curriculum, and policy
- Unpacking the role of the peer educator (mentors, coaches, SI/classroom leaders)
- Designing effective programs (identify and explore core program components)
- Designing peer educator training curriculum (active training model, assessment, developing your program cycle)
The Tutor Trainer track topics include:
- Aligning training goals with institutional vision, mission, and goals
- Assessing current training practices to find opportunities for improvement
- Developing key skills for hiring, supervising, and evaluating tutors
- Identifying and applying key learning theories relevant to tutor training and development informed by standards, outcomes, and assessments
- Implementing active and interactive training facilitation strategies